Thursday 31 March 2011

super long drives.

After last night I've noticed that one of my talents is managing to stay awake for long drives.
6 hour ones. Both the drive there and back.
I was out of my hometown all day yesterday because we needed to visit someone in hospital out in the country.
We left at 9am in the morning, and got home at 3am the next morning.

Stylish, no?
The latter drive was probably the best.
My dad's car is super powerful, but fucking tiny.
During this car drive, I realised that I would move to the country simply to lay out at night and stare at the stars.
Dad stopped the car for a rest, got out and told us all to look up.
"Look, that's the Milky Way Galaxy!"
"There's the Southern Cross!"
"And there's the pot!" (we have a star pot in our night sky. How awesome)
Of course, that conversation lasted between only my father and me.
As we drove on, I realised that I continued to stare at the sky for a solid half an hour.

At some point around 12am, my laptop battery died in the middle of a rather thrilling session of How To Train Your Dragon. I was almost brought to tears.
I managed to maneouvre my sister and myself into a position that made it comfortable for both of us to sleep.
Or so I thought.
Yum yum.
She had a pillow and her head in my lap and I was sitting up straight.
I began to doze off, but woke up again when I realised I was trying to catch flies.
Meaning, sleeping with your mouth wide open.

After Mum and Dad switched driving places, I bought a double-strength iced coffee which kept me hyped for the rest of the drive.
Mum and I played a game using the iPod by shuffling and guessing which artist each song was by.
Mind you, her music taste consists of The Cranberries, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, stuff from that era.
I got them all. It's clear who inherited the better music taste in the family.

And I'm not too sure how to end this post. So I will just end it.
THE END.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to stop and look up at the night sky occasionally. It puts alot of things in perspective to realize your just a teeny tiny little thing in the cosmos.